Classic jamaican rice and peas is rice and kidney beans simmered with coconut milk, green onion, fresh thyme and spices. It's an easy way to jazz up your meals and makes a great accompaniment to just as easy Jerk Chicken.
The recipe here is adapted slightly from the recipe by Chef Briana Riddock writing for Food & Wine. It's really as simple as throwing everything in a pot and letting it simmer slowly until it reduced and the rice is fully cooked.
You may also like these other tropical dishes:
- Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro & Black Beans
- Easy Mango Salsa in 10 Minutes or Less
- Baked Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa & White Lightning Sauce
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Jamaican Beef Patties
Jamaican Style Rice and Peas
Classic jamaican rice and peas is rice and kidney beans simmered with coconut milk, green onion, fresh thyme and spices. It's an easy way to jazz up your meals and makes a great accompaniment to just as easy Jerk Chicken.Print Pin Rate
- 2 cups medium to long grain rice or basmati
- 3 cups of water
- 1 can drained kidney beans
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 5 sprigs thyme stems removed and diced
- 3 green onions finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or 5-6 allspice berries ground
- 3 garlic cloves finely diced or mashed
- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper finely diced
- ½ teaspoon finely diced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 stalk green onion thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- Put everything in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Stir to mix evenly.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes checking periodically that it isn't reducing too rapidly.
- It's ready when the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Taste and adjust salt to your liking.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and serve.
Leave a Reply