This coconut lime rice with cilantro and black beans is the perfect summer side dish that's ready in 15 minutes with only 5 minutes of prep. You can also make it a meal with a few yummy additions like jalapeños, radishes, and avocado.
Other tropical recipes:
- Jamaican Beef Patties
- Coconut Lime Rice with Coconut Curry Tuna Steaks
- Easy Mango Salsa in 10 Minutes or Less
- Baked Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa & White Lightning Sauce
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Jamaican Rice & Peas
I've made it my mission over the past few weeks to prepare meals that are big on flavour but low on effort. By tapping into these amazing summer flavours, it's so easy to prepare and serve meals that are exciting and so fast you'll barely feel the prep.
This coconut lime rice has so much flavour from just a few ingredients.
- ½ can coconut milk
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 cup of short or medium grain white rice (you can also use brown)
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1 small can of black beans
- About 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro + more for garnish
Toss the rice, coconut milk, water, lime zest, coriander and salt in a pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes before adding the black beans - mostly so they don't stain the rice.
Serving coconut lime rice with cilantro and black beans
The fresh summer flavours in this coconut lime rice pair really nicely with a lot of different ingredients so you can make a complete meal that's exciting and bursting with flavour.
Eat it as a meal
This rice makes a great meal on it's own. Since it already has rice and beans, carb and protein are done ✅
Add avocado, thinly sliced red onion, radishes, and jalapeños, peppers, or vegetables like broccoli or peppers.
Serve it as a side dish
This rice makes a great side dish for a protein of your choice. Rub a few chicken thighs with mashed garlic, lime juice, salt, and oil then roast - perfect low effort protein.
You could also up the ante on flavour and make a sweet and spicy coconut curry sauce to serve over either seafood like the seared tuna steaks below, chicken, or black bean patties. See the recipe for Coconut Curry Tuna Steaks.
Coconut Lime Rice with Cilantro & Black Beans
- 1 cup white rice ideally short or medium grain
- 1 small can black beans
- ½ can coconut milk
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro divided for cooking and for garnish
- Toss the rice, coconut milk, water, lime zest, coriander and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes before adding the black beans - mostly so they don't stain the rice. Stir until combined.
- Garnish with remaining fresh chopped cilantro.